Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Munger - 1

I never imagined that I would be spending so much of my adult life in the hinterland of Bihar. It has been close to 21 months that I have been working in Munger and I have a lot to write about this place.

The nearest railway station connecting Munger to Howrah and Patna is the Jamalpur Railway Station. Jamalpur's claim to fame is a railway workshop that is nearly 150 years old. The road from Jamalpur to Munger reminds me of all the movies where the location of the plot is one of the small towns of the state. Lush green field and mango orchards dot the road connecting these towns apart from small time hawkers setting up their carts to display their wares.

After having lived in this place I have come to realize how far removed we are from reality in the urban metros of our country. Here we are in a town where infrastructure is non existent , the ostentatious display of wealth absent and yet the people have happiness written all across their faces. The hospitality showered upon you if you happen to visit their houses make you feel ashamed and also wonder if the suave urban populace has real warmth behind those plastic smiles that they put up if somebody comes visiting.

Will keep writing about Munger... watch this space for more...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home