Sunday, November 14, 2004

RP....ILLU.....

I took my last walk through the ILLU arena this morning trying to recollect all the efforts that had gone into making each chatai perfect.The endless adjustements to the curves of the bow and the eyes of the horses...the changes made to make each design more dynamic...it was a Herculean task.I looked at the figure of Draupadi and replayed those bawdy jokes that we had shared when we saw the sketch for the first time.It was a month of sheer opposites which would have been ideal ingredients for a college movie.There were moments of intense disappointments which would fade into the background in a split second to give way to periods of excitement and joy.
When the TSG president announced that we had come second I felt sad...not for myself but for those wonderful second years of mine who had helped to make this event what it was.I must confess that I never enjoyed shouting at them but I had to act as the situation demanded.It is never an easy task starting work for an event such as this, but when those chatais are lit the ecstasy that they generate vaporizes all those acrimonious feelings.I was delighted for the Rangoli team which had created history by winning that particular segment.Battling all odds,defying all expectations( including mine ) they worked day in and day out.A few of the members had plenty of things to prove to me after I had given them a sounding for starting work late...and boy I was only too happy to be caught on the wrong foot.
The endless nights of work...the shouting of invectives at our next door neighbours will all be passe.In more ways than one I will be sad.......and yet I am happy...beacause the defeat of this year will only make my juniors to come back stronger next Diwali....
My dear RKites...every RPian says... "I shall return....." and Ma Kasam...they will...

4 Comments:

Blogger kpowerinfinity said...

the first part of the blog was fine... all good feelings...

what happened to your head in the end... u must be joking dude... this years victory has only strengthened our intensions and boosted out convictions... now we know we can win even without a mess top...

dude, it's gonna be even more difficult for RP to match up to RK next year... n that's a promise

November 15, 2004 at 5:40 PM  
Blogger Ayanangsha said...

If dreams were real .......
every RK ite must be thinking on these very lines right now after winning illumination....
i do not have the audacity to forecast the future and neither do i have the guts to make bold and expert remarks about next years event

but yes.. i would like to say one thing :
Revenge is a dish best served cold

November 15, 2004 at 5:58 PM  
Blogger apratim said...

hi shreerang

I couldn't agree with you more regarding the tempo of the second years ... it is something phenomenal and points only to good things in the future ...

this year I could not take part whole heartedly in the preparations for Illumination and that is one of the regrets that I will have for a long time to come ... I say this because having been a part of Illumination 2003 I had experienced some of the best times with the seniors of my hall ... Illu in IIT KGP is indeed an experience to remember and a tradition to be proud of ...

I would add only one thing ... if possible put up some pics in your blog ... they will speak louder than any number of words ...

cya and take care

November 15, 2004 at 8:29 PM  
Blogger Suvro Sarkar said...

actually u guys are luckier than u realize...at least the effort that u put in is bound to pay off...rp and rk can as well give the judges some rest and alternate the first two positions each yr. All we do is fight for third place, that too with 20 chatais and 4 panels against ur 13 chatais.Kind of unfair, come to think of it, but i'm not complaining.Life's never fair that's why we never stop trying.Hamara number bhi aayega, maybe some time when we'll have stopped hoping!!!

November 15, 2004 at 8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home